A power outage in a data center can be disastrous for a business. In Florida, data centers are at risk due to a hurricane or tropical storm-related power outages. Is your data center fully protected in the event of a power failure?
Keystone Critical Systems & Advisors provides full UPS battery replacements to South Florida businesses as part of our comprehensive data center maintenance services.
Uninterruptible power supply or uninterruptible power source (UPS) batteries provide a device with a temporary power supply after an input power source fails. They’re commonly used to protect data center hardware such as computers and telecommunications equipment from being affected by an unexpected power disruption. A UPS battery can be used to protect everything from a single computer or medical device to an entire data center.
Your UPS Batteries Need to Be Replaced Every 5-7 Years
The life expectancy of UPS batteries can vary greatly. The UPS batteries used in most data centers generally last about 5-7 years. If your UPS batteries are over 5 years old, you’ll probably want to consider replacing them.
Keystone provides our clients with a complete range of UPS battery replacement services. We service all types of UPS batteries including lead-acid (valve-regulated – VRLA and opened vented – VLA), nickel-calcium, and lithium-ion. We can test and inspect your batteries, remove and replace them, and properly dispose of them. Our services also include an evaluation of the existing battery size to determine if the battery jar size is too large or too small for the ride-through times you desire.
Examples of UPS Battery Problems
In addition to age, some of the other factors that can cause lead to UPS battery failure include:
- Poor storage – Batteries in storage need to be recharged periodically to prevent loss of capacity.
- High room temperatures – The rated capacity of most UPS batteries are based on an ambient temperature of 77 degrees. Temperature variations, especially increases in temperatures, can harm a battery’s performance and lifespan. It’s important to ensure a UPS battery is properly ventilated so it doesn’t overheat.
- Over-cycling – The more often a UPS battery discharges and then is charged again, the less power capacity it will have. In a lot of instances, over-cycled batteries can fail
- Improper voltage – A UPS battery has a specific charging voltage. Using a different voltage to charge the battery can cause damage.
- Incorrect battery application – Using a UPS battery for a device it is not specifically designed to power can cause the battery to fail.
Why Choose Keystone?
Data centers and other mission-critical facilities are all we do. By focusing solely on data center design, construction, and maintenance, Keystone delivers a level of service our competitors can’t.
In addition to UPS battery replacement, Keystone’s data center maintenance services include:
- AC & CRAC maintenance
- Data-center cleaning
- Power quality analysis
- Vibration testing consulting
- Load bank testing
- UPS & battery service
- Generator service contracts
- Clean agent/pre-action & sprinkler systems
- Equipment failure forensics
We also provide expert Data Center Advisory Services and Data Center Construction Services.
UPS Battery Replacement Florida
Keystone Critical Systems & Advisors is dedicated to ensuring your data center is protected against power interruptions at all times.
Headquartered in West Palm Beach, Keystone serves businesses all over South and Central Florida, including Key West, the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area, Tampa, Orlando, and Melbourne/Palm Bay Space Coast. Contact Keystone Critical Systems & Advisors to learn how we can be of service to your business.
We’re licensed by the State of Florida for both General Contracting and Mechanical Contracting, making us uniquely qualified to handle all aspects of data center design, construction, and maintenance. And we never subcontract mechanical installation.